Video poker is a game that combines elements of a slot machine and classic poker. The game first appeared in New York at the end of the 19th century. She did not immediately become popular, but she won over fans worldwide over time.
In many ways, the success of video poker was influenced by the development of modern technologies. So, in 1975, the first digital machine for him was released. Several years later, slot machines were installed in many land-based casinos.
In 1979, entrepreneur William C. Redd introduced his vision of video poker called Draw Poker. The company he created still operates in the gaming industry market and occupies a leading position.
Video poker uses the same combinations as regular poker. There are several differences between these game variants. The game is played at a card table between several players in classic poker and it is more common to see tournaments in for the classic poker. For example, the high prize tournaments at Ignition are solely for the classic poker variety, and you’ll see this pattern on other sites as well.
In video poker, you play with a machine that acts as a dealer. Both varieties of poker should be played only on trusted sites. Otherwise, there is a risk of running into scammers, in which all draws will be falsified.
Video Poker Rules
The video poker machine is very similar to classic slots. The cards are displayed on the screen, and a handle for starting the rotations is on the right. At the bottom of the screen is a hole for accepting coins; there are control buttons, a paytable, and small game instructions.
Video slots with poker in online casinos are built according to a similar principle. Scrolling is done not mechanically, but by pressing the “Spin” button.
The game is played with 52 cards. In some varieties of poker, 53 joker cards are added. It acts as a “wild symbol” – as, in regular slots, the joker replaces other cards on the screen and helps form winning combinations.
How to Play Video Poker
You can play the game free in demo mode or for real money. The first option is suitable for familiarization with the rules and features of the game. So, you can also choose the appropriate game option for yourself.
To play for real money, you will need to create an account at the casino as well as replenish your account. Then follow our instructions:
- Place your bet on the round, after which the machine will deal 4 cards.
- Select the cards you want to drag. After that, the second distribution will start.
- If you collect winning combinations, your account will be replenished with a certain number of coins.
What are the Winning Combinations in Video Poker?
In video poker, the same combinations are used to calculate the winnings as in classic poker. Let’s talk about some of them:
- Pair. Two cards of the same value and different suits.
- Two pairs. For example, you can order two tens, two queens, or any other combination.
- Set. Dropping 3 cards of the same value.
- Straight. Five cards of different suits should fall out on the screen, arranged in order of seniority. For example, you can combine 9, 10, jack, queen, and king.
- Flush. The winnings are paid if 5 cards of the same suit are collected on the screen.
- Full house. It is necessary to collect a pair and three of the same cards.
- Kare. 4 cards of the same value.
- Royal Flush. The highest paying combination, with it, you will beat any player at the table in classic poker. It consists of 5 cards of the same suit in order.
Types of Video Poker
Currently, there are a huge number of varieties of gambling. For example, in an online casino, you can try your luck at the following slots:
- Jacks or Better – It has very similar rules to classic video poker, but at the same time, combinations below the jack do not bring prizes.
- Double Bonus Poker – Here you can pick up a double win if you collect four of a kind on the screen from fives and kings, deuces and fours, and aces.
- Joker Poker – It has an additional wild card that helps form winning combinations on the screen. Prize money will be brought to you only by those combinations that start with a pair of kings.
A Few Final Points
The easiest way to play video poker is to visit an online casino. But not all sites offer good conditions for the game. You should consider several factors to make the right choice.
Important criteria for choosing an online casino include:
- Having a license – Permits can be issued in various jurisdictions – Malta, Gibraltar, the UK, etc.
- Site reliability – Pay attention to the time the site was created, the duration of the operator’s work, and other points. It is also worth reading the reviews of other users.
- List of available games – The proposed assortment should be those types of entertainment you want to play.
It is also worth exploring the available bonuses for new players and the availability of a loyalty program. To start the game, you must create and replenish your account.