Steamworks Common Redistributables refers to a set of components that you need to install on your computer to run various applications, especially games on Windows. These components ensure that the game operates smoothly. Steamworks, in particular, is a tool suite designed for using games or software on the Steam platform.
How To Hide Steamworks Common Redistributables
Here are the steps to hide the Steamworks Common Redistributables from your Steam Library:
- Open your Steam and go to the “Library” Tab.
- Select “Detail View“.
- Find and select “Steamworks Common Redistributables“.
- Click on “Change categories…” (located on the right side).
- Check the checkbox for “Hide this game in my library”.
- Click the “OK” button.
If you ever decide to view the Steamworks Common Redistributables again, you can find it under Library > Hidden.
What Is Steamworks Common Redistributables?
Steamworks Common Redistributables is a suite of essential components required by many games and applications. These components include:
- DirectX 9
- Microsoft Visual C++ (2010, 2013, 2015)
- NET Framework
When you download a game from Steam for the first time, Steamworks Common Redistributables will automatically download and install the specific file or tool version required by that game. Any subsequent games you download will utilize the already-installed version, preventing redundant downloads.
Should you delete Steamworks Common Redistributables?
Here are the points to consider:
1. Purpose: Steamworks General Redistributables are required pre-requisite installers (like DirectX, VC runtimes, and other runtimes) used by many games. They ensure that games have the necessary components to run correctly on your system.
2. Reinstallation: If you delete them, they will likely reappear the next time you install a game that requires any of these redistributables.
3. Space Saving: Before Steam introduced this feature, every game you downloaded came with its own set of Redistributables. This meant that if you had multiple games, you might have multiple copies of the same redistributables. With Steamworks Common Redistributable, Steam has centralized these files, saving you download size and installation space.
4. Automatic Reinstallation: If you delete the Steamworks General Redistributables and a game needs any of those files, Steam will automatically reinstall them. So, it’s best to leave them alone.
5. Visibility: Some users have expressed that they would prefer these redistributables to be hidden or placed under a different category in Steam to avoid confusion.
6. No Impact on Performance: These redistributables do not impact the performance of your games or your system. They are merely essential components that some games need to function correctly.
How To Use Steamworks Common Redistributables
You can use these redistributables by following these steps:
Testing Installation: To test your installation with the chosen Common Redistributables, it’s recommended to use a clean OS image on a machine or VM. Alternatively, you can force Steam to reinstall Common Redistributables by removing specific Registry keys:
32-bit Windows: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Valve\SteamApps\CommonRedist
64-bit Windows: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Valve\SteamApps\CommonRedist
- Setting Up in Steamworks.
- Go to the Steamworks App Admin panel.
- Click on “Installation”.
- Select “Redistributables” and find the required redistributables for your game.
- Publish your changes.
It’s crucial not to delete the Steamworks Common Redistributable folder. Doing so will result in the loss of essential files, leading to game crashes during startup. If you accidentally delete the folder, you should download it again on Steam.
Steamworks Common Redistributable is a valuable tool that ensures games and applications have the necessary components to run smoothly. It optimizes the user experience by preventing redundant downloads and installations.